Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Valentine's Day Projects

My daughter enjoys making things.  And by that I mean she just makes things out of her head, ready to re-invent the wheel and not bother with how anyone else has done it.  Generally, that's a good thing.  So here are some Valentine's Day cards and other projects.  Now, let me say at once that I know quite well these are not worthy of a DIY blog, but they are fun and might give inspiration to mothers and daughters (or fathers or sons if they are of the creative bent) who want to spend time together.

This is a Valentine's Day Medal.  To find out how it's actually supposed to be done, go to Handmade Charlotte for the instructions.  However, I can't sew (other than the occasional button or mending) to save my life.  My best friend, who is an amazing artist, can testify to this, as I helped her sew some buttons for a project once.  The buttons stayed on, but thank goodness they didn't show.  Therefore, we used glitter glue to frame the circle instead of sewing.  My daughter also insisted that we put words on the medal, instead of on a card to which we would attach the medal.  It's hard to write on felt, so we used glitter glue again (she loves glitter glue).  One word of warning: it takes a lot of time to dry, especially if it is thick.




My daughter also wanted to make cards for family.  This one is for her aunt.  We used a blank card and glued felt on the top.  Then my daughter decorated it as she saw fit.



This one is for her best friend.  The hearts are stickers, and for some reason, she prefers to use wrapping ribbon, as opposed to cloth ribbon, for her bows.


My daughter has also been "decorating" the house with heart stickers, bows on the banister, a string of rainbow hearts hung across a doorway, and other creative, handmade decorations.  It's encouraging to me to see her creativity and enthusiasm.  (When I was her age, I was not so much interested in this world as in my own other worlds.)  And we just enjoy doing crafts and projects together.



No comments:

Post a Comment