Friday, April 4, 2014

Unsung Mothers of the Old Testament--Introduction

In my journey Along That Path, I want to learn as much as possible, and I consider any day I don't learn something new to be a day wasted.  And if you know my family, you know we don't like to waste anything.

Part of that learning is learning more about being a mother, a mother like my mother was to me, a great mother, a mother my kids can look back on and say, "she wasn't perfect, but she loved us and we had a wonderful life."  So whenever I can learn from another mother, I don't hesitate.  I don't have all the answers, and neither does anyone else.  But we can learn from each other and help each other.

Some time ago, I was reading in Kings and Chronicles in the Old Testament.  Normally, I just gloss over the different kings unless there was something special about them.  For example, Josiah, who brought about badly needed reforms, or Hezekiah who also was a reformer.  On the wicked side was the infamous "Jeroboam son of Nebat" to whom other wicked kings are compared.  Unless something popped out as interesting, I just skimmed.  However, one day the line "his mother was [insert name]" impressed itself on me.  Why were these women noted when so many were not?  Is there a pattern? What can I learn from these women, good or bad?  We don't know much about them, but there are some things I believe Scripture teaches us through these women and what can be inferred about their lives.  I say inferred because not much is known about the women themselves.  But little gems can be picked out here and there, and those little gems are important.  I hope you enjoy your journey through the pages of history, through the lives of women of whom few have made note.

Unsung Mothers of the Old Testament is a chronicle of learning with a spice of humor for any mother, grandmother, potential mother, spiritual mother, or any woman who wants to learn from some of the most influential and most overlooked mothers in Scripture.



No comments:

Post a Comment